“Jesus loves the little children. All the children of the world.”
We all know the famous song from the 1800s by Clare Herbert Woolston, a preacher from Chicago.
But what does the Bible say about it? Does Jesus love all the little children of the world?
Yes, Jesus does!
In Mark 10:14, Jesus tells his disciples not to hinder children who were trying to get to Him, saying “for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.”
MORE: Click here for a cute performance of the song
But the world doesn’t always love the little children. In fact, it seems as the years pass, the world may be loving them less and less.
The message that’s being drilled into their heads through media, social media and society as a whole is often exactly what they don’t need to hear.
That’s why I think it is of the upmost importance that children know just what they mean to God. And it’s up to us parents and Christians to make sure they know it.
It’s crucial that we remind them of just how precious they are, how loved they are and how adored they are, no matter what they look like, how much they weigh or how talented they are or aren’t.
We must be a louder voice than the world.
I have compiled some bible verses that I feel every child should know, to remind them of how special they are in the sight of God. They’re also good for adults because – yes, I’ll admit it — sometimes I forget how special I am.
I wrote a skit about this very subject where a young lady has been told horrible things about herself and believes them. Jesus intervenes and reminds her that God’s Word says otherwise.
MORE: Click here to watch the skit.
For the skit and this blog, I have taken liberty to piecemeal verses, sometimes combining parts of them, for easier understanding. I have taken care to keep things in context.
I’ve also used The Message at times because it is generally easier for children to comprehend, but generally I use the New International Version.
These are not ranked as I think they’re all important but rather are in order of their appearance in the Bible.
- You were created in the image of God.
- The Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
- You are beautiful and wonderfully made.
- You’re never out of God’s sight… you look behind and God’s there, then up ahead and God’s there, too — God’s reassuring presence, coming and going. This is too wonderful.
- You are precious in God’s sight.
- God gives you a future and a hope.
- You are the salt of the earth.
- You are the light of the world.
- Jesus wants you to be filled with his joy, and your joy will overflow.
- Absolutely nothing can get between you and God’s love.
- You are more than a conqueror.
1 Corinthians 3
- You are God’s temple and God’s Spirit dwells in your midst.
2 Corinthians 6
- You are God’s son or daughter.
- Long before God created the Earth, He had you in mind as a focus of His love.
- You are God’s workmanship.
1 John 4
- Little child, you are from God.